Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Power of Words



Last night, I was just chatting on MSN with a young lady who's in Sec 4.

She told me something that shocked me.

"My teacher told my class that our standard (in terms of studies) is lower than most of the other students from other secondary schools in the area."

And to be honest, she came from a really good school.

When the teacher told her class that, many of her classmates (including her) felt like giving up on studying. They felt kind of lousy and hopeless.

There's a saying "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me". I personally think that it's totally not true.

Words have the power to make or break a person, especially so if he or she is young. However, many times, we (including myself) speak carelessly. Often, we hurt people because of that and we don't even realise it.

I'm going to be a teacher soon. I must really be careful of the words that I release towards my students. Words of praise, encouragement and blessings, that's why I should aim for.

I found this simple poem on the Internet and would like to share with everyone. I hope that we will only speak words that will edify others, and not tear them down.

A careless word may kindle strife;
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill;
A brutal word may smite and kill.

A gracious word may smooth the way;
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress;
A loving word may heal and bless.


No comments: