Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Life Journey Part 1 - Primary School

I'll be starting a new series of posts on my life story. I believe that everybody has a story to tell.

Me? I was born into a family of 7 - my grandparents, my parents, my elder brother, my elder sister and I in 1981.

My brother and sister are older than me by 7 years and 5 years respectively. Hence, they don't really interact much with me when I was young. The only thing that drew me and my brother together was the computer. He taught me how to hack games at the age of 10.

My primary school life at Maha Bodhi was mainly filled with memories of me and my friends. We played games like catching, five stones, "hantam bola", 1-leg, erasers flipping, hop-scotch, Chinese chess, etc. (Compared to now, kids are usually playing PSP, Gameboy, Nintendo DS, etc)

One of the key highlights of my primary school life came when I was in Primary 5. My Maths teacher, Mrs. Teo chose me to represent the school in a Maths compeititon in the Chinese High. Though I didn't win any award, I gained a lot of confidence because I felt that my teacher trusted me.

Futhermore, the compeition exposed me to the compounds of the Chinese High. It was really really huge with water and hills and many many classrooms. I was captivated by it and that propelled me to choose the Chinese High after the release of my PSLE results in 1993.

A simple action of my Maths teacher caused my life to be changed. It just goes to show
we can never underestimate the long-lasting effects that a teacher's actions (or lack of actions) can bring to a student's life.






No comments: