Saturday, February 04, 2012

Discontentment

Over the past few months, I have been struggling with some feelings of negativity. Then I realized that the root of my unhappiness was that I was not contented.

I was not contented because I compared myself with someone else who has what I don't have.

It seems to be in our human nature to always want to compare with someone whom we perceive to be doing better. As a result, often we feel unhappy, resentful and even jealous.

When I was young, I compared myself with my friends who did exceptionally well in their studies (like those who got straight A1s). Then I started comparing myself with my friends who obtained overseas scholarships. As I get older, I compared myself against my peers who seemed to be super-high achievers in both the private industries and civil service.

What I have forgotten is that I myself have not been doing too badly either. I hope to learn from Apostle Paul, who says it plainly in Philippians 4:12 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

I think that for me to overcome discontentment, I need to be thankful that I have been blessed with things that many people don't have. Also, I need to trust that God would supply all that I need.

And finally, that brings me peace, joy and contentment.


No comments: