Monday, February 06, 2012

A Resilient & Generous Spirit

Yesterday, I visited Madam Choy as part of CNY visitations, together with some of my cell youths, as well as my wife and Isaac. I witnessed for myself first-hand the meaning of a resilient and generous spirit.

You see, Madam Choy is blind and yet, she has to take care of her husband who suffers from dementia. On top of it, she does some kind of handicraft by making beautiful baskets from wires and beads. If this is not about being resilient, I don't know what is..

Altogether, there were about 13 of us who visited her. She insisted on giving us red packets since it's still CNY. To our suprise, she gave each of us (yes, including my wife and I) $8! That's $104 in all! To us, perhaps it's not a big sum. But I am quite sure, to her, $104 is no small sum.

She also shared with us that she gave away $1000+ to charity when someone raised some money for her. Her simply reply was that since someone helped her, she ought to help others too.

Many of us gave out of our wealth. But Madam Choy gave out of her poverty. Indeed , she's just like the widow described in Luke 21 "As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 'Truly I tell you,' he said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.' ”

Madam Choy is truly generous and resilient. I have a lot to learn from her.

No comments: