Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dad, I'm sorry...

More than a week ago, I had quite a big argument with my dad. Just like all arguments, harsh and nasty words were exchanged. I said things that I should not have said. At the end, we were both quite angry with one another.


Immediately for the few days after the quarrel, my dad and I didn't really speak much to one another. There was some kind of barrier between the two of us.

I was actually quite convinced that I should make the first move and apologise to my dad. However, every time I had the opportunity to say sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. There's this thing called pride in me that I could not give up, and it's really harder for adults to apologise.

Finally, after a week of struggle, I couldn't take it any more. When my dad and I were alone in the car, I gathered enough courage and told my dad that I was sorry for saying harsh words that day. I could almost felt tears swelling up in my eyes.

Wow.. a few simple words. And that tore down walls and walls of barrier between the two of us. My dad and I were able to relate so much better after that.

Sometimes, to preserve a relationship, we have to be proactive and take the first step to apologise. If not, the relationship might go downhill all the way.






No comments: