Monday, May 28, 2007

"I will consider marrying if ..."

These are the words that I heard last night when I was on my way home on a bus. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I was just sitting down there on the bus doing nothing. And they were talking quite loudly.

Guy A: Wahh.. We need to work very hard in S'pore leh, if not how to survive?? How to have a wife???? What if cannot find good job?

Guy B: Yah loh. But I will consider marrying if maybe the girl is like Alice. She's thrifty and don't any how spend money one...

Guy A: Cannot marry someone like Kirsten!! She spend money like dunno wat. Just now she almost wanted to make us go to a high class restaurant... Cannot afford her lifestyle man..

Guy B: Hey, actually Helen also not bad. She's quite caring. She's seems like the type who will get along with my parents.

Guy A: Come to think about it, Alice like not very caring one leh.. I think she probably will get into all kinds of arguments with your parents loh.

Guy B: Wah.. really hard to find leh. A girl who is caring to me, to my parents, to my family and can save money.. Oh okay. I better get down. That's my stop.

At this point, Guy B alighted the bus, leaving Guy A.

It was quite an interesting exchange. The two guys are about 20 years old or so - older teens. They spoke with a bit more maturity than younger teens. They looked out for girls beyond just looks. They were looking for something called 'Character'.

However, that's not the case with most teenagers. People are now getting attached at a younger and younger age. They want to go steady because they are looking for ...

1) Love.

Many teens just want to have a feeling of being loved. To them, it doesn't matter if the other party has got a bad-tempered or other bad things. So long as they feel loved, it is okay.

It may be due to the lack of family love at home because many parents are busy working. Teens need someone to validate them and make them feel important. If they can't find it from their parents, they will look for someone of the opposite gender outside.


2) Something to show off.

Often, teens want to get attached so that they can show their peers that they have pretty girlfriends or handsome boyfriends. They feel real proud about it. And this becomes some kind of peer pressure. Everyone goes looking for BGR because their friends are doing it. They don't want to lose out or lose face.


I'm not saying that BGR is not good. Afterall, I myself am attached (but only when I was 25 years old). It is just that the timing and motivation to find a bf/gf has to be good.

The more BGR breakups you experienced, the more wounds and scars that will be left behind in your heart. This is especially so for ladies. Be radical. Only go for the one that you think you can marry in the future! =)


My sister's ROM Photo




No comments: