Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Life as a RI Teacher

It's been 5 weeks. Time really flies.

I'm still trying to get used to being a full-time teacher in RI.

My Table in the Staff Room


Besides teaching, I have to learn to handle the responsibilities of a form-teacher. I have to take care of my form class and that goes beyond academic grades. I'm also concerned about their character.

Yesterday marked the start of the prefect nominations. Altogether, 5 students from my form class, 1M came looking for me today to talk about it. They all shared with me that they wanted to serve the school and help the other students.

I agree that serving the school and helping other students is important. However, I think being a prefect means much more.

"What do you wish to become at the end of 4 years if you're elected as a prefect? In terms of skills and character." I asked them.

None of them have actually thought about it. I told them to think about it and write a short reflection.


I believe that in all things, we should always being with the end in mind. That will guide us as we go along, and we won't be directionless or aimless. For example, if I want to become a prefect in RI, I should know at least roughly what I want to become at the end of Sec. 4. If along the way, I find myself not working towards the goal, I need to stop, reflect and react.


Do you begin with the end in mind?





No comments: