Saturday, April 14, 2007

My Plaques / Medals in Springfield Sec

Yesterday morning, we had our annual school run at Bedok Reservoir. All the students and staff of Springfield were gathered there early in the morning for the 4.5km route.

Some of the teachers (including me) were asked to run as well.

Here's my number tag...



The competitive student runners went first. Following right behind them are the teachers. After about 30 minutes of panting, running, struggling and persevering, I finally finished the race.

By then, I was really exhausted. I haven't really been exercising for the past 1 month or so.

To my surprise, among the staff, I actually came in 2nd in position. During the prize presentation, the school principal presented a plaque to me.



Of course, I'm happy to receive a plaque. My fellow practicum teacher joked with me, "Hey, I don't want to be in the same school with you next time. You always win all the awards!"

He was just joking. After all, for this Bedok Reservoir Run, I was the youngest male teacher that ran. Well, I have an advantage in terms of age as compared to the rest of the male teachers. Furthermore, the PE teachers did not take part as well.

During the school's Sports Day a month ago, I also won something. I got second in a class relay with 3F , as well second for the staff relay.


My Medals...


However, as I reflected, while it is good that I win these plaques and medals in Springfield, I felt that these are very temporal stuff. Very soon, people will forget about these things.

I'm nearing the end of my 10-weeks practicum soon. I have about 4 more weeks to go. I need to be frank and ask myself this question:


What have I left behind in Springfield?


Honestly, right now, at this present stage, I seemed to have left nothing worthwhile behind.

What I desire to leave behind are students whose lives are transformed. Even if it's just one student, it would be good enough for me. I think that is really more important and lasting than any plaques or medals.

I must somehow leave behind a legacy in Springfield.



No comments: