Friday, December 14, 2007

Running the Race

Around 2 weeks ago, I took part in the Standard Chartered Marathon 2007. I went for the 21 km category.

I completed the race in 2 hr 59 min 55 sec. 87% of the participants completed the race before me. But I'm really thankful for the race.

Honestly, right at the start of the event, I was feeling a little nervous. I haven't been training much for the race because of sickness. 21 km. I'm pretty sure it's going to be tough.


I ran the race with my cell group brothers, and my cell leader. Everyone followed my pace because I was the slowest runner. Everyone gave me support.


At the start, the race was pretty okay for me. I kept a slow but steady pace. However, I was only able to sustain it to the 16 km mark. Then, I suddenly have cramps on both of my thighs. I could only limp. But I told myself, either I will run, walk or crawl. I must finish the race. I won't give up.

The amazing thing was that when I told my cell brothers and cell leader to go on without me so that I can walk slowly, they insisted on waiting for me. I was really grateful and thankful them. In the end, I could limp a bit, run a bit and the cycle repeats itself all the way until I finish the race.


Yes. I pressed on and completed the grueling 21 km race. But not just that, I completed the race together with my spiritual family. It was not so lonely when we ran together after all.



No comments: