Thursday, November 09, 2006

Perservere on & Serve!!

Yesterday morning, I brought a group of youths to Toa Payoh to clean the homes of some elderly people. The first house that we went to belonged to a Malay lady.

As she can only converse in Malay, she couldn't understand us and we couldn't understand her much. Communication was a problem indeed. But thank God she let us in and we were able to clean her house.

However, it wasn't easy. She tried to tell one of the youths, Timothy how she wants the toilet to be cleaned. Due to communication problem, we couldn't really understand her. She was quite frustrated and sometimes will raise her voice. The youths and I tried to be as patient as possible and do what she wants us to do.

Eventually, at the end, the Malay lady saw that we were sincere about serving her and she was really very thankful for us. "Terimah Kasih" she repeated again and again. We were also glad that she was glad. We then came together and took a nice photo. It was a very good experience for all of us.

In life, there will be many people that we meet who appear unloveable at first. But if we perservere on and serve them, they'll eventually know that we care, and change. For me, as I'm going to be a teacher soon, I know that I will definitely meet students that are not so easy to handle. But if I perservere on and serve them, they will know that I truly care.

Do you have anyone in mind that appears unloveable? (Especially your family members) If so, perserve on and serve!

No comments: