Monday, December 18, 2006

Wantan Mee...

A few nights ago, I did something really quite impulsive. It was 11:30pm. I was hungry and was on my way home in my car.

I really had a craving to eat something. Finally, I remembered that there's a good wantan mee stall at Dumman Road Food Market. Since I was near, I went there and parked my car, and decided to tabao wantan mee home.

When I went to the stall to order, the auntie told me that I have to wait at least 25 mins for my wantan mee.

25 mins!!
Wah seh!! I was a bit double-minded.. I wanted to go home and rest coz I was quite tired. But the very thought of the wantan mee made me drool and I told the auntie that I would wait.

I sat down at a table and drank a cup of kopi as I waited. While waiting, I suddenly find myself like quite silly. "What the heck am I doing near midnight waiting for wantan mee?" Focusing my mind on the food, I banished every negaitve thought from my mind.

After almost 30 mins of insufferable waiting, finally, the yummy yummy wantan mee came!! I paid the money and went home quickly as I was tired and hungry and I wanted to eat at home in my air-conditioned room. The photo above shows my wantan mee.

When I reached home, within 10 mins, whatever that you see in the photo was gone. All in my stomach. I was like a bit duh... After a short while later, the taste began to fade in my mouth, and I felt kind of empty.

For a moment, while I was eating the food, I was really happy. Then the next moment, I found myself feeling quite silly why I waited 30 mins for a bowl of wantan mee when it was so late at night and I was so tired.

I thought about it.. I realized that sometimes, without thinking, I just go for things that give me instant gratification. Yes, it might be enjoyable, but it lasted only for a moment. After that, emptiness just sank in and I kind of regretted wasting time over it.

For myself, I think I would want to go for things that will last longer. And not just instant gratification.




On a side note, the wantan mee auntie actually told me to call in to order wantan mee before going there to collect. That will minimize waiting time. The name card below shows it all.








_

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So in this story above, what would you have done to achieve something that last longer? By going back to rest and sleep? I think the feeling will only just last awhile too, also instant gratification. I somehow think by eating the wan ton mee, you will get more gratification!!!

Nicodemus Pang said...

Hi, thanks so much for your comment. Really appreciated it.

What I really hope to share from my story is that things that we are going after might only last just for a very short while.

For instance, the super-nice wantan mee takes only like 10 mins to finish, and after that, I felt kind of empty.

I could have used my time more wisely right? Fruthermore it's really late at night and because I ate supper and slept late, I did not have enough sleep the next morning, and that affected me.

Something longer would be like what you say, to rest and sleep elarly. Because that prepares me for almost the next of whole day. And I'm sure that's much longer than enjoying the wantan mee.

Anonymous said...

Nothing last forever, even cold november rain. Haha. I guess many things in life that we are going for only last for a short while. We often question ourselves whether what we have done are really worth it. Just enjoy the moment, be it 1 sec, 5 secs, 1 min, 5 mins or 1 day... etc. Imagine the fact if you have not eaten the wan ton mee, you tuck yourself right into bed and suddenly your stomach is growling. Then you start to regret and you think that you should have eaten the wan ton mee. There are always better options out there in life, better ways to use your time, better ways to spend your money(crumpler bag?? haha). Why not just embrace your decision and not always regret, like that you will live happier. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Cheers.

Nicodemus Pang said...

I think there are always good things and better things.

I prefer to always set my sights on things that are better (not that I always succeed though). =)

And of course, same to you, Merry Christmas & a very Happy New Year to you and your family too! May 2007 be a great year ahead for you.