Monday, August 06, 2007

How Far Will You Go to Bless Someone?

Last Saturday, I had this very interesting encounter. I was queueing up to pay my credit card bill at an AXS machine in Bukit Merah.

"Hello. Can you help me to the toilet? Very urgent." I heard someone asked me from behind.

I turned around and saw an uncle on a wheelchair. I recognized him. He always sell Sweepstake tickets in that area.

I was a bit flustered, to be honest. I didn't know how to respond initially. I half-wanted to just give some excuse and leave. But something stopped me. I almost forgot that I'm on this campaign to be a blessing to people around me. Now, it's the best chance for me to bless this uncle.

I put aside my credit card and plucked up my courage and started to push the uncle towards the toilet. Well.. it is then I realised that the only toilet that can accomodate the wheelchair lies on the other side of the road. I was a bit shocked because I had to wheel him across the road (there was a overheard bridge, but the lifts weren't working). Gosh.. This task kept getting harder.

Nonetheless, I pressed on. I slowly wheel the uncle cross the road. Thank God that there weren't that many vehicles at that time.

When I finally reached the toilet, I was half hoping that I can just push the uncle into the toilet and he can settle the rest himself.

Well, I was wrong of course. I went on to help him relieve himself. I'm not a nurse, I had never done it before and felt quite clumsy and embarrassed about it.

After that, I pushed the uncle all the way back to his original position, next to the AXS machine. Yes, I had to cross the road again. Thank God this time, a SBS bus captain helped me stopped part of the traffic so that I can wheel the uncle across.

Upon reflection, I felt that it's not just the uncle who is being blessed. Actually, I'm being blessed too. I realised that when I overcame my initial fears and discomforts and blessed him, my heart was kept soft.

Every time we see a need,and we ignore it, our hearts become hardened. I prefer to respond to the needs around me, as much as I can. I want to be tender-hearted always.

No comments: